Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Blind Date "Cure"

The third in a short series about singledom.


Oh the blind date. What a common tactic used to try and cure the diseased. I know that if I really hated blind dates that much I could easily say no to them. No one's forcing me to go on them. But I figure I don't really go on any other dates so why limit myself to nothing when I can at least have some dating experience (even if they are some of the worst dates I've ever been on).

I know a surprising number of people who have decided that blind dates are no longer going to be a part of their dating experiences. Or who have never allowed blind dates to ever be a part of their dating experiences. To these people I say: Too bad, for you never know...

Now, I've never been on a blind date that turned into a relationship let alone a second date even. But I know people that are married now that met their spouses on a blind date. So although I've had some awful blind dates-just to give you a sampling, I've been on 3 blind dates (yup THREE, count them 1, 2, 3) where part of his family has accompanied us/been part of our date-I'm just not ready to throw in the towel. So instead of turning them down I figure I can assist the Cured by introducing a few guidelines to consider when choosing blind dates for your diseased friends.


A Guide to Planning a Blind Date:


Questions to ask yourself before setting up anyone on a blind date...

1. Are both parties geographically close together? If she lives in Utah and he lives in Texas and they really hit it off then you just made life that much more difficult.

2. Do both parties at least have something in common? If you answer this question with "They're both single" then it's an automatic NO GO.

3. Do both parties at least SEEM to be the type of guy/girl my friend would date? So they're both great people with high standards and so much to offer but she's a high maintenance city girl who knows all about her favorite movie stars and he's a computer hacking, World of Warcraft (or whatever it's called) obsessed gamer. NO GO.

4. How did the idea of both parties getting together come to mind? Were you searching your mental catalog for potential dates for your single friend? NO GO. Did the thought/impression come to your mind that these two people should meet? MOVE FORWARD.

5. Do you think as highly of the "match" as you do your friend? Please don't set up your most awesome friend with a much less-awesome acquaintance.

6. How well do you know the person with which you're setting up your friend? "He's my brother's wife's best friend's ex-boyfriend." If you don't know both parties directly it's a NO GO.


Horrible reasons for setting up anyone on a blind date...

1. You know that your friend would be so much happier if s/he were married because you're married and you can't imagine any greater happiness.

2. You have a diseased friend who, in your opinion, just doesn't date enough.

3. Your single friend is an amazing person and you want so badly for the world to get to know him/her.

4. They're both single.


The 5 Step most efficient/least awkward/best way to set up anyone on a blind date...

1. Ask your friend if s/he is willing to go on a blind date.

2. Ask the match you've been considering if s/he is willing to go on a blind date.

3. Give the male (ALWAYS THE MALE, REGARDLESS OF WHO YOU KNOW BEST) the female's phone number.

4. Refuse to double with them.

5. Let nature take it's course. You no longer have any responsibility or need to take action. Stay out of it (unless one or both parties chooses to give you a report on what happened.)


Anyone got any blind dates for me?

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I do I do haha. But he wants us to go with you, so I guess I will have to work on that part. I actually had one other thought but the only criteria that fits is that he lives in Logan and I don't know him but my Brother in Law teaches with him, so it wouldn't work because my BIL could have weird taste. It wouldn't surprise me. besides this whole dating thing... I have been wanting to call you, so expect to hear from me soon.

Jalayne said...

I understand exceptions to the setter-upper going with the two on the date. Ideally, I think it should be a single date but just remember, at this point in time I won't say no!

Colette said...

Two things - 1. I have 2 friends that are now married to one of their blind dates. And 2. I have never been on a blind date. Not because I say no, but because no one has ever offered one. You would think in 26 years someone would have thought "we should set her up with . . ." But nope. Maybe that is why I am still single???

Darby said...

This is why we get along!