Monday, August 11, 2008

Friends + Fair + Funnel = Fun

After the Cardboard Regatta, I spent some time watching the Olympics with some friends and then we (David, Mike, Seth, Anthony, Colette, Jani, and I) headed to the Cache County Fair. The best part is that it was free! I didn't know free fairs existed. We wandered around and looked at various things. First, we saw this HUGE tractor. I have never seen a tractor this big and I was so amazed I just had to take a picture.



We then headed to the animal pavilions. If you knew me, you would know that the animals are my favorite part of any fair because of...you ready for this?...the SMELL! I love the smell of farm animals. I took a picture by this pig because of his ears. They looked like they had been chewed on. WEIRD!



After making the animal rounds, we walked around the carnival. The rides were too expensive for us college students so we headed towards the food. We talked about sharing a couple funnel cakes but again, they were too much money for us college students. David and Anthony came up with the wonderful idea of making our own funnel cakes. So we headed home. On the way back to the vehicle, I provided transportation for Colette, Anthony, and Jani.



While Anthony, Seth, Colette, Jani, and myself shopped at Wal-Mart for funnels, David and Mike found a recipe for funnel cakes (Thanks, Alton Brown!).

First we mixed the batter



Then you pour the batter into a funnel, allowing the batter to drip into the hot oil



You let the batter cook on one side



Then you flip it over



After it cooks, you end up with a beautifully fried creation!



But if you cook it too long, it's not so beautiful



We used powdered sugar or cinnamon/sugar to top the cakes. If you want to get really fancy, you can use whipped cream and fruit topping-which is absolutely delicious but remember, we are cheap! David manned the hot oil and I topped every one's cakes with their desired topping. Since Saturday night was the first time some of these people had tried Funnel Cakes, I insisted that everyone allow me to document their first bite...

Anthony's First Bite (powdered sugar)



Mike's First Bite (Cinnamon/Sugar)



Seth's First Bite (1/2 Cinnamon/Sugar 1/2 Powdered Sugar)



Jani's and Amelia's First Bites (also 1/2 and 1/2)



Brad's First Bite (1/3 Cinnamon/Sugar and 2/3 Powdered Sugar-he was very particular)



David's First Bite (Powdered Sugar)



My First Bite (Powdered Sugar)



I must say that the following sequence was my favorite part of the evening:

1. Approximately 1/3 of Colette's Funnel Cake



2. Ready to stuff



3. The Actual Stuff



4. The Full Cheeks



5. The Half-Masticated Cake rolling around in her wide open trap (you get the quote?)



By the end of the night, I was exhausted so I lay my head in Colette's lap. She decided to style my hair for me. Not too bad, right?



WRONG



She styled a crooked French Braid (because I was laying down) and missed a chunk of hair. To remedy the mistake, she curled it around and stuck it with a bobby pin. Attractive, eh?

It was an eventful evening with lots of grease and lots of sugar. I don't see a problem with this although some people would beg to differ. Really what it comes down to is this: Triple F (friends, fair, funnel) equals FUN!

7 comments:

Callie said...

Sounds like a fantastically fabulous festivity!

Colette said...

I loved all of it - except getting burnt by Dave flinging grease on me every time I tried to help out. I have learned an important lesson though . . . stay out of the kitchen and let the real cookers do their job! Although - you did leave something out . . . the midnight activity of facebook scandals.

Colette said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Colette said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Colette said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
george & clarine review said...

Good blog!! Colette made enough comments for every one. gwh

Beckie said...

Hey, Miss Congeniality! Excellent usage of quote, my friend.

Oh man, I'm sad I missed this great fried food fiesta. Fun pictures Jalayne!

Though I must say my favorite part of the fair was not those giant tractors, but that giant head of cabbage! It was like a watermelon!!