Friday, December 17, 2010

Finding Christ in Christmas

Over the past few years I've noticed something when it comes to myself and the Christmas season. About this time of year I become impatient with all things Christmas and I can't help but think, "There's seriously ONE more week until Christmas?! This stuff just can't end soon enough!" I begin to feel a little bah-hum-buggy and by Christmas morning opening gifts and saying "Merry Christmas" are merely formalities. The Christmas songs have lost their jingle, the lighted trees and houses have lost their luster, the snow is no longer welcome, and I'm ready to move on.

However, this doesn't seem to be the case this year. Here are my theories as to why I feel differently:

1. I put up my Christmas decorations in December, not the day after Thanksgiving. I was able to put them up at my leisure and not feel rushed into bringing Christmas into my home. I guess you could say that I was inviting Christmas at my will instead of forcing it into my home based on tradition.

2. I'm going homemade this year. Instead of going from store to store, looking at ideas of what to get people, and fretting about making the right decision, I scoped the Internet for ideas (don't get me wrong, I spent HOURS searching the web, but I didn't have to deal with people and that makes all the difference). I'm more excited about giving gifts this year than I've been in a long time. I haven't had to deal with traffic, long lines, or cranky people. I make a list, I map my route, and off I go. I've been quite successful and quite efficient, if I do say so myself. The less time I've spent with the crowds, the more I've enjoyed preparing for Christmas.


3. I didn't allow myself to listen to Christmas music until December began. There are only so many Christmas songs out there. Of those songs there are only so few that are decent enough to listen to. If I start listening to Christmas music too early then I get sick of it. Not this year!

By the way, the only Christmas music worth listening to is...
1. The Carpenters
2. Nat King Cole
3. Burl Ives
4. Andy Williams
5. Johnny Mathis
6. Frank Sinatra
7. Dean Martin
8. Josh Groban (but even this one has its limits)

4. I tried to focus on the Atonement. Over the past week I've been wondering what people mean when they refer to the "Christmas Spirit". What is this spirit people speak of and how does it differ from the Holy Ghost, which I have the privilege of feeling every day? Our final lesson in Institute this semester (Doctrines of the Gospel, Part 1) was on the Atonement. As I've spent the last two weeks thinking about the Atonement and studying the effects of the Atonement, I have noticed a difference in the way I look at Christmas. I think I've always looked at Christmas simply as the birth of the Savior, for those are the stories we always read; but I needed to take it further-for me. The Atonement lesson caused me to think and reminded me of something my dad said a few years ago: "Christmas is the birth of a life of sacrifice."

Jesus Christ was born with a purpose. He was born with a cause. He was born with a mission. He was born to teach me how to live. He was born to save me. He is my Savior. Without His birth there would be no way to return to live with my Heavenly Father. There would be no way to find comfort and peace as I struggle through the loneliness trials have to offer. There would be no way to keep pressing forward without the enabling powers through His grace. Christmas is a time not only to celebrate the birth of Christ, but the life of Christ.

Merry Christmas

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

Amen!

(And I found it quite stressful last Christmas in the states when out and about in malls and stores; I have too many years of not doing that at Christmas and I like it that way.)

Kim said...

An article in this month's Ensign echoes your words...Gordon B. Hinckley said "This is the wondrous and true story of Christmas. The birth of Jesus in Bethlehem of Judea is preface. The three year ministry of the Master is prologue. The magnificent substance of the story is His sacrifice, the totally selfless act of dying in pain on the cross of Calvary to atone for the sins of all of us. There would be no Christmas if there had not been Easter."

Count yourself right up with the prophets! :)

george & clarine review said...

All I can say is that what you have said and what you are doing certainly strikes a harmonius note with me. May you be blessed.