Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Being Cold Pays Off

So I mentioned a couple of blogs ago about my apartment and how we keep the thermostat set between 55 and 59 degrees. Well our gas bill came this month and Wohoo! only $10.69 per person! Woot woot! Woot woot! Woot woot! It would be even cheaper if we didn't have a washing machine. We even try to save money with the washing machine by combining loads of laundry.



When I moved in a discovered my own washer and dryer I thought to myself "Wow, I can do laundry on a weekly basis now instead of when I run out of underwear." Then I discovered that I just don't have time to do laundry that often and it is cheaper to run the machine less. So I still wait until I only have one or two pairs of undies left and instead of washing alone, my roommates and myself combine our dirties into three, sometimes four, huge loads.



I usually take it upon myself to do that laundry. I have discovered that of all household chores, laundry is one I actually enjoy doing. I love sorting it, transferring it to the dryer, folding it, putting it away (I don't put away my roommates clothes, but I do fold them and pile them neatly on their beds). I pretty much just love the entire process. Maybe it's because I love the smell of clean laundry. Or maybe it's because I like things clean. Maybe because the sight of an empty laundry basket is a beautiful thing. I don't know what the answer is-I just love doing laundry! It's the ironing that comes after that I absolutely hate. (So future honey be warned: I don't iron!)

4 comments:

Heather said...

So if the pay off is so big I just want to know what you did with the $10 bucks you saved...buy yourself something nice? Wouldn't it have been worth the extra money to be comfortable?

Colette said...

Thanks again Jalayne - I am always so grateful for you on Laundry Day because I am the one who forgets the laundry is in the dryer until it is all wet from the boys upstairs - So thanks!! And I would like to join in with you, Jalayne, in saying that I it was exciting to see the gas bill so low. Gas is so expensive these days and I think that we did a fabulous job of keeping our bill down.

Anonymous said...

Jalayne, you can come do my laundry any time that you want! I do like doing laundry, but I really don't like folding laundry. G's are the worst to fold. Anyway just thought I would add a comment on your blog, because I really like to read it :)

Anonymous said...

sorry that last one was from me, Love Jessica