Monday, March 17, 2008

Spring Break Road Trip

Our trip was a rip-roaring success! We had loads of fun as we crossed five states (Utah, Idaho, Montana, Washington, and Oregon), stayed in one hotel (Missoula, Montana Motel 6) did work in four temples (Spokane, Seattle, Columbia River, and Boise), dined with four families (Jensens, Russells, Sorensens, and Folletts), visited five attractions (Radio Flyer, Hat 'n Boots, Public Market, Space Needle, and Fremont Troll), stayed with three families (Hatches, Jensens, and Folletts), rode a carousel (Spokane), took a ferry (Bainbridge Island), and took pictures in front of my old house (Moses Lake, Washington). Let me hit some of the main points in greater detail for y'all:


We dined at Scotty's on Friday night on our way to Missoula. It was only my second time eating there and I have never been extremely impressed with it but anyone in Idaho Falls will tell you how wonderful Scotty's fries are. Cassie and Colette can now both agree with that statement.


We took pictures in front of the giant Radio Flyer wagon in Spokane. Sadly enough, it was blocked off for renovations. Quite a disappointment for Cassie but we took pictures anyway. We also rode the carousel and walked around the falls while we were at Riverfront Park. After the park we had our palms read. It was quite the experience-more like a fun story. We attended the temple that evening before heading back to Justin and Ashley's house.


On the drive to Seattle, Cassie and Colette said it would be great to stop in Moses Lake and take pictures in front of my old house. What a wonderful trip down memory lane that was!

When we arrived in Seattle on Sunday evening, my Great-Aunt Marilyn planned a large dinner for everyone. Cassie and I enjoyed dinner with Skip, Marylin, Stephanie, Antony, Camdon, Calvin, Camille, Amanda, and Trevor. It was great fun. Camdon and Calvin gave us a tour of the Lego Room. We got to enjoy Nordy bars and introduce Camdon and Calvin to the glorious game of darts!


Once in Seattle, we took pictures in front of Hat 'n Boots, spent time at the Public Market (where we were asked to be part of a crowd for a movie they were working on for the UK), Cassie and I went to the top of the Space Needle, and we took fun pictures in front of the Fremont Troll (it really does exist, I promise). We finished that day with a dinner at the Russell residence. It was a good time visiting with my cousins and aunt and uncle.


On Tuesday we took a ferry to Bainbridge Island and spent the day walking around Poulsbo. We concluded the day with a trip to the Seattle Temple and dinner with Cassie's friends that used to live in Salt Lake.

My favorite thing about Seattle was eating at the Athenian Inn. For those of you who don't recognize the name of this restaurant (I didn't either) it is where Rob Reiner and Tom Hanks ate a meal while they discussed Tiramasu. It was so exciting to eat there! We all ordered fish (salmon) and chips (which were delicious).



At 7:00 Wednesday morning we hit the road and headed to Richland where we attended the temple and took more pictures. I saw my old fourth grade teacher while we were at the temple. That was a really neat experience. After a wonderful and very long drive, we arrived in Boise.


We dined with the Folletts and headed to the temple for yet another session of baptisms and pictures. We finished the night with an exciting game of Apples-to-Apples and "Dan in Real Life".






We arrived safely back in Logan on Thursday afternoon. After hours upon hours of driving we covered 2,202.9 miles, took over 300 pictures, and created inside jokes to last a lifetime. For more pictures, visit Colette's blog.

4 comments:

Darby said...

I sense a repeating notion of larger than life objects to take pictures with. Loved them! Looks like spring break was a good time!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a great time. Did you take any pictures when you were with Aunt Marilyn? I would like some if you did. I'm glad you had a great time.

Jalayne said...

Nope, I didn't take any pictures with Marilyn.

Candalyn said...

Fun! I can't even begin to tell you how homesick I am after seeing the picture of you in front of the Boise Temple. Ooh, I am jealous.

I've been in school (teaching) and work all day so I'm sorry I haven't texted you back yet! Computers are legal at work so I will tell you here: Whittney got married yesterday, we drove down to Salt Lake for the wedding. That's the short answer; I will have to call you back as soon as I have recovered from all the driving back and forth.