Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Play List



In honor of Father's Day I have created a CD for Dad. Each song is a memory, a favorite of his, or a song I think he would enjoy. I decided to post the play list of the "Happy Father's Day" CD.

1. Everything I Own (Bread): Dad's favorite Bread song and the song is all about Bread's father so of course it belongs on a Father's Day CD.
2. Encarnacion (Nacho Libre): Dad's favorite movie. We laugh about and sing this song often.
3. Big Girls Don't Cry (Fergie): I don't particularly enjoy this song and I don't know if Dad does either, but we laugh about it because the words are so dumb "I miss you like a child misses its blanket..."
4. Kansas City (Oklahoma): Dad knows all of the words to this song. As soon as I start singing it he joins right in and fills in all of my blanks.
5. Chiquitita (Abba): When I was little I would dance with Dad to this song. Our dance consisted of bouncing up and down in a circle with our arms to our sides and our hands pointed straight out.
6. Outbound Plane (Suzy Boggus): Dad was the one that got me hooked on Suzy Bogguss and this was the first song on her album. We listened to her often when we lived in Moses Lake.
7. Point of Light (Randy Travis): We listened to a lot of Randy Travis. I loved him as a little girl and I was sure I was going to marry him. We listened to Randy on road trips. When we got this album and this song began to play, Dad took his hands off the wheel and waved his arms back and forth to the beat of the chorus. It became a family favorite/joke really quick.
8. Tequila Sunrise (The Eagles): Dad's favorite song by the Eagles. I think about him every time I hear it.
9. The Music of the Night (The Phantom of the Opera): We listened to a lot of The Phantom of the Opera on our road trips. I don't know which song is his favorite, but I really enjoy this one.
10. Forever and Ever Amen (Randy Travis): I was convinced that I would marry Randy Travis when I got older. We listened to a lot of Randy Travis in Pocatello and Moses Lake. And let's face it, I'm going to love Dad forever and ever.
11. Diary (Bread): I never really listened to the words of this song until Dad pointed them out to me. Now I think about him when I hear it.
12. Thank Goodness (Wicked): Dad's favorite song from the musical, Wicked.
13. Dream Big (Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band): This is a song I think Dad would enjoy. It's got good lyrics and the blue grass sound Dad enjoys.
14. Invisible (Taylor Swift): Dad's and my favorite song from this album.
15. Somewhere in my Broken Heart (Randy Travis): Again with Randy. I cried when I found out he got married. Kim and I loved this song. We listened to Randy during road trips. When the song ended we would chirp "Again!" and Dad would have to rewind the tape for us.
16. Finale (Les Miserables): We also listened to Les Miserables on road trips but also on Saturday mornings while cooking breakfast. I don't know his favorite song from this musical so I picked one that I love.
17. Lyin' Eyes (The Eagles): This is my favorite Eagles' song and I wouldn't have fallen in love with it if Dad hadn't introduced me to the Eagles.
18. Go the Distance (Hercules): Dad used this song/video clip for a seminary lesson when he taught in California. I think of him when I see/hear this song.
19. Ah-Ha (Rigoletto): This song isn't really called Ah-Ha but that's how I refer to it. There's a part in the song where someone repeatedly sings "Ah-Ha Ah-Ha Ah-Ha..." I didn't enjoy opera until Dad introduced me to Rigoletto. I remember that this song stood out in my mind because of all of the ah-has and I was intrigued. When he put on opera I didn't fight it. I listened to it and I fell in love.
20. For Good (Wicked): This is one of my favorites from the soundtrack because it's the way I feel all the time about the people I meet in my life. Because of Dad, I have been changed for good.

Thanks for 22 years of talks, laughs, drives, fires, moves, camping trips, hikes, meals, jokes, and music. Happy Father's Day, Dad!

No comments: