Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Glimpse of the Schedule

Let me introduce you to the school schedule.



(Sorry that this is a picture of my computer screen. I could not find any other way to insert it.)

They have six classes total, but they only go to five classes every day. They only have four classes on Wednesday because they have an assembly every week, and they get out early on Wednesdays. There aren't hallways. There are separate buildings for each subject and even those aren't linked with hallways. These students definitely get an opportunity to soak up some Vitamin D on a daily basis.

I teach four classes. I teach V, W, X, and Z. (V is Sports Science; W is Outdoor Education; X is Year 11 Phys. Ed; Z is Year 9 Phys Ed) Because of the way the schedule is organized some days I teach four classes and other days I only teach three. One thing I do like is that classes are exactly fifty minutes; none of the 62 minute stuff with 7 minute passing periods. Fifty minutes of class, five minutes to get to class. Everything ends at an even time.

Interval lasts for twenty-five minutes and lunch lasts for fifty. There isn't a cafeteria; students get food from The Canteen and they eat outside. When it rains (not just sprinkling, but really raining), everybody brings umbrellas; lunch is shortened and everyone gets out early.

Maybe this isn't unique to New Zealand but it's different for me. It has been an interesting schedule to get used to, but I am starting to like it. Every day is a little bit different which adds an element of excitement!

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

I would enjoy the kind of schedule you have!