Saturday, March 7, 2009

Things I've Noticed

I have been in Hamilton for a week now and I just wanted to list a few things that I have noticed that are different from back home

-students don't wear shoes; they were uniforms and there are specific sandals they can choose to wear but shoes aren't required so a lot of students don't wear anything on their feet at all

-some people don't wear shoes anywhere, including the grocery stores (which I think is against the health code in the States)

- females down here have bigger boobs than they do in Utah; I have noticed that the majority of females I see are very well endowed, even the young ones that are still in high school

-flip flops are not flip flops, they are jandals

-I haven't seen too many pick up trucks in Hamilton but in Cache Valley they're EVERYWHERE

-instead of "siesta" like in Spain or South America, we have morning tea; all of the students are released from class to take a break while the teachers head to the teachers lounge for either coffee or tea (I have a banana or drink a cup of Milo, which is like hot chocolate)

-school schedules are a lot different here, they don't have the same classes at the same time every day and they don't have A days and B days; it is different from anything I've ever heard of

-although the F-word is just as offensive here as it is back home, it is said WAY more than I ever remember hearing it in high school, even when I lived in California; riding home on the public bus one day was absolutely ridiculous; way worse than any war movie I've ever seen; there are even two or three P.E. teachers that throw the word around rather casually in the PE office

-damn is not a swear in New Zealand; they have road signs that say Give a Damn; look twice!

There are definitely more differences, I just thought I would list a few. As I think of others, I will be sure to record them as well.

4 comments:

Evebluelyn's Rambling said...

I have noticed the propensity to use the f-word throughout the English speaking lands of the planet much more than I ever noticed it used in the USA (and maybe that's because of where I'm from in the USA). The first time I was in the UK--almost 20 years ago--I had the same reaction you're having now!

Justin said...

I liked your observations.

Hannah said...

I don't know. Here in Seattle, some people manage to fit the f-word in at least once a sentence, maybe more.

Ben and Camille said...

Yes. Agreed about the F-word. It's used ALL the time here too. It's just not a bad word, they don't care when or where they say it, or if there are "ladies" around...it just doesn't matter. It's rough!