Thursday, November 27, 2008

Expressing Thanks for Mi Familia



If you knew me, you would know that I have the greatest family on earth. I am the middle child of five and although I've made my complaints about Middle Child Syndrome (MCS), I really enjoy it most of the time. In order to express my appreciation for each family member, I have decided to share one of my favorite memories with each person.



When I was little and we lived in Moses Lake, Dad would jump on the trampoline with us. Kim, Dad, and I made up a couple of little routines that we would do together. For entertainment purposes, we threw in a few "Whoop-ah!"s and still laugh about it today. I am grateful to have a dad who played with me as a little kid.



When I was in high school, Dad went on a lot of business trips. This left a lot of time for Mom and I to bond. Mom and I would start talking and wouldn't end our conversations until 11:30 or later (even on a school night!) I am grateful to have a mother who sacrificed sleep to listen to me.



I attended my first real concert with Chris. We went to the Big A** Show in Salt Lake during my sophomore year of college. It was at this concert that I saw The All-American Rejects for the first time. It was at this same concert that I learned what weed smells like. I am grateful to have a brother who helps educate me in the ways of the world.



Justin and I have only ever been in one fight that I can remember. Mom was gone at Girls' Camp and Dad was at work. I was twelve years old and I wanted to go over to a friend's house. I don't remember the exact reason for the fight, but I do remember locking myself in the bathroom and "growling" at him through the door. The next day, everything was fine. I'm grateful to have a brother that quickly forgets about my ridiculous anger.



Ashley and I attempted to clean the sink together at Angie's (they serve a sink full-literally a sink-of ice cream and toppings). We tried so hard but to no avail. We didn't succeed, but I'm glad we tried. That was the last thing we did together in Logan. I am grateful for a sister who is willing to join me in overindulgence.



Kim and I loved to roller skate when we were little. We had a sidewalk in front of our house that curved into the driveway. We would put on our rockin' roller skates, skid down the sidewalk, and instead of following the curve, we would do a cartwheel onto the grass. We thought we were pretty hott stuff and we were always excited to show off our great tricks. I'm grateful to have sister that loved playing with me.



In the summer, we LOVED playing outside. We would set up a croquet course and go at it for a few days. Clark was too young to truly understand the concept of winning and losing. We decided that we would teach him that it isn't okay to cheat, even when you're losing. He got so mad he chased Justin around the house holding a croquet mallet over his head. Justin ran inside and shut himself in the bathroom, thinking he had found refuge. Clark would not be so easily defeated. He raised the mallet over his head, swung at the door, and left a hole. I'm grateful for a brother who exemplifies determination.



Kim and I loved to play dress up and all sorts of games. When Julie was born we were both pretty excited to have a "baby" to play with. We used to put dresses on Julie and carry her around as part of our games. She was a pretty good sport, most of the time. I am grateful for a sister who let us use her as a tool for our own enjoyment.

The nephews are still a little young to really target any specific memories, but I can still express gratitude for them.



I am grateful for Elliott because he can make me laugh. I am grateful for Quinn because he never fails to give me a smile.



I am grateful for Braxton because he loves to wrestle and play rough. I am grateful for Taylor because he truly understands my appreciation for sleep and food.

I am so grateful to have a family that understands me, entertains me, and helps me to learn and grow. I don't get to be with all of them often, but when I am with them I would rather not be anywhere else.

1 comment:

Abby said...

cute post laners-- nice funny face up at the concert. umm. yeah. that's all i have. Love ya!