Sunday, April 6, 2008

My Calling in Life

So I have decided that my calling in life is to love and take care of other peoples' children. I made TONS of money baby sitting (other peoples' kids) in junior high/high school + I was an EFY counselor (for other peoples' kids) a few summers ago + I want to be a teacher (of other peoples' kids) + I have four nephews (my siblings' kids) = my calling in life. And I absolutely love it.


My name is difficult to say/read/repeat. When I write my name out in e-mails to people I don't know or have to write my name on a name tag, I spell out my name. Below it in parentheses I write, Juh-Lane. People are starting to get it right and hopefully some people will even start to remember it. In order to spare my little nephews confusion and a mouthful of incomprehension, I nicknamed myself Auntie Jay. It's a name that has stuck. I cherish it and I smile whenever I hear anyone say it (Elliott is currently the only one of my nephews that can speak right now, but my family members use it, too).


As far as My Calling and siblings' kids go, it all started with Elliott:


I missed his birth because I was in Spain. I missed his baby blessing because I set my alarm for the wrong time. But I've been there for him ever since! I even made up a song about Elliott and Auntie Jay. When he was younger and had a hard time going to bed at night, I would rock him and sing him to sleep. I think that's when we truly bonded.


The Calling continued on with Braxton (I don't have a picture of just Braxton and me, but Braxton's the one in blue):


I was actually in Spokane when Braxton was born. I was also there for the baby blessing. He used to be hard to get to sleep at night. I tried the whole rocking-and-singing-to-sleep-thing but this kid saw right through that. He wouldn't have it. No rocking and singing for him. He just liked to watch everyone and fall asleep when ready. More of a night owl, I guess you could say. Kinda like Auntie Jay.


And it continued to continue on with Taylor:


I was also in Spokane for the birth of this little guy. I was also there for the baby blessing. He's chubby and likes to eat, kinda like Auntie Jay, and I think that's how we bonded. We have things in common. He's also a really good sleeper-like Auntie Jay (I may stay up late, but when I'm asleep, I'm out). And I've been told he kinda looks like me-I don't know-but it could be another factor in the bonding process.


And The Calling continues on even still with Quinn:

I was in Salt Lake for Quinn's birth, and I'll be there for his blessing. Quinn and I haven't had time to bond yet, but we will.


So this is my calling: to love and care for other peoples' children. I love it. It brings me joy and happiness. I wouldn't give up my title as Auntie Jay for anything else in the world. Hopefully I'll say the same thing (once I start teaching) about the title of Ms. Hatch.


5 comments:

Justin said...

You are a great aunt. My boys are lucky to have you as their "Aunty Jay".

Hannah said...

Does this mean that you'll be one of those Aunt Diane types where you don't have children of your own? ;-)

Callie said...

Your a wonderful aunt Auntie Jay!!!

Callie said...

Oops - Chris was kind enough to point out what I call a typo and he calls a grammatical gaffe. So lets try again. YOU'RE a wonderful aunt Auntie Jay!!!

sandy said...

I think all of your nephews have you wrapped around their fingers with good reason. You are the best.