Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Return of Pizzookie Night

FYI: The term "pizzookie" comes from a local pizza place called Firehouse Pizzeria. Any visit to the Firehouse Pizzeria without ordering a pizzookie is considered incomplete, even sinful. They cook a cookie on a skillet and top it off with ice cream, chocolate sauce, and caramel.


--------The ice cream------------------->The Caramel---------------->The Chocolate Sauce--
A couple of years ago, Mr. Beus and I started a tradition we titled Pizzookie Night. We belonged to the same FHE group but our two leaders never planned any activities. Mr. Beus called me every Monday to see if I knew what the plan was. The answer was always the same "I have no idea" so he just started coming over on Monday nights. Darby, Robyn, Laurel, Mr. Beus and I would figure out something to do in order to make up for our slacking leaders.

One particular Monday evening, Laurel and I had a bunch of pictures to pick up from the store. We decided that a trip to the store would be a sufficient activity and off to the store we went. While we were there Mr. Beus suggested we buy cookie dough and ice cream to create a homemade pizzookie for dessert. It was delicious and it became a weekly tradition. The idea spread and by the end of the semester it became a weekly event. Mr. Beus and I took turns buying ice cream and cookie dough and together we would spread the dough across a cookie sheet. Once it was ready, we scooped the ice cream, drizzled the chocolate and the caramel and everyone dug right in.

Summer came and it was pizzookieless. Fall semester began and Mr. Beus and I decided to try and bring back the blessed tradition. It was a little more difficult since we were assigned to different FHE groups. Then he got himself a girlfriend. By mid-semester, pizzookie nights were no more. This semester, an old pizzookie friend suggested we start it up again. So I made the announcement and pizzookie night is back!

Instead of store bought cookie dough, I made my own dough (which is SO MUCH better) and instead of a cookie sheet, I used a pizza pan. It worked out beautifully and the homemade pizzookie was better than ever.


Pretty much the finished product.


Part of the gang enjoying the delectable dessert.


Heather's first bite.


I think everyone enoyed it. The pizzookie was devoured pretty quickly.

5 comments:

Hatch Family said...

I want one! YUM!

george & clarine review said...

What a neat idea and narrative - well written too. gwh

Candalyn said...

Yay! We do pizzookie night, too. It's our classic date night dessert plan. So you can rest assured that the tradition has been carried into the realm of the married people. :)

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I remember when you got that when you guys took us there. It looks great!

Beckie said...

SWEET. Hey, when are you going to get me your cookie dough recipe??