Sunday, April 27, 2008

Shootin' Guns

Yesterday Richard and Ray and Rory invited us to go shoot guns up Providence Canyon. I had never touched a gun before last night let alone shoot one. When we received the invitation I was pretty excited (it wasn't a date, don't get too excited for me) but the more I thought about it, the more nervous I got. "What if somebody does something stupid and gets shot?" Then I started thinking about how Mom felt when Justin and Ashley got permits and guns. I used to not agree with her-I kinda do now.


I had fun, but it was definitely a nerve wracking experience. Ray showed me how to shoot the 22 first. It was a ton easier than I expected it to be. It made me a little nervous to look in the scope because I didn't want to put my face that close to the gun but it's all good. I actually hit the target once. I was pretty proud of myself. We didn't get any pictures of me shooting the 22 but I really did it, I promise.

I then went back to the truck and tried to build up enough courage to shoot another gun.

Rory had two hand guns; one was a "boy" gun and the other a "girl" gun.

He asked me which one I wanted to shoot.
"Whichever one you want me to shoot."
"No. You choose."
"Umm...alright. The girl gun, I guess?"
"Nope. You're gonna shoot the boy gun."
"Are you sure?"

So I shot the boy gun.
It was louder than I expected and had much more of a kick than I expected. I flinched pretty hard after ever shot. He gave me the support I needed, literally. He stood behind me and sort of held me up while I shot the thing.
This was my least favorite. Rory got a good kick outta this one though. I think everybody was pretty entertained with me-lots and lots of loud laughter.

Cassie shot the girl gun.
Then I shot a shotgun. By this point, my camera was dead so we don't have any more documentation. We shot at clay pigeons. It's possible that I hit one but we couldn't tell if it was me or Colette. Let's say it was me.

All in all, it was a fun experience. My right arm is pretty stiff today. I can now say I have shot a gun, well guns. But I don't think it is something that I will ask to do again. I'd go again, but I wouldn't suggest it. It's a good one-timer experience. I appreciate Richard, Ray, and Rory for letting us tag along with them.

4 comments:

Hatch Family said...

Guns are fun to shoot if you aren't being stupid about it! We have been talking about finding a range to shoot again. Maybe this summer you can come with us and be a little more comfortable with it. -ashley

No use of eye or ear protection is stupid. That is why it was so loud. Guns are not bad. Guns only make those who are not familiar with them nervous - justin

Callie said...

Having guns around makes me nervous - what can I say? Like Justin said, I'm not familiar with them. That being said, I have to admit that one of my favorite dates with your dad was trap shooting and target shooting. I was lousy with a pistol, but I bested your dad and the other couple at trap shooting. And I loved watching those clay pigeons shatter!

Jalayne said...

We had ear protection. We were all wearing ear plugs you just can't see them. But we didn't have eye protection and I'm okay with that.

Kev said...

Wow, my niece is Annie Oakley... Although, Justin is right you should wear eye protection, in case the cartridge flys back at you. I taught Court and Jax to shoot. It's a good "just in case" skill to have. Although you have to be really careful having guns around little kids...